Monday, January 31, 2011

Last few hours in the big city

My sweet housemates took off this morning. One has left to fly home to Denmark, and the other is now on a bus to continue her 5 months of travel through Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Brazil. It feels so melancholic and beautiful to make a new home, get so close, and then leave it all to go on to something new. Fittingly, it´s cool and raining today, and the city feels sleepy after the hot madness of Sundays in our barrio of San Telmo. I finally realized that the concert I hear every Sunday morning until 12pm is actually the very musical and devout congregation from a huge Mars Hill-esque church on the other side of my street. Mystery solved.

Lessons from this week:

The word ¨che¨in Argentina loosely means, ¨hey, you, guy!¨As such, Che Guevara being a man of the people, was regularly addressed with this slang. It stuck, forming his nickname.

The word ¨labia¨in Dutch directly translates to english as ¨shame lips.¨And ¨placenta¨? That´s a ¨mother cookie.¨

I get way too excited when speaking in Spanish to remember all of my grammar but people seem to understand me anyway.

It is possible to get sick of steak, even if it is the most incredibly succulent steak you have ever had.

The Delta of Tigre is a fabulous place. Don´t let anyone talk you out of going there. Take a boat out to the island of Tres Bocas with a picnic and just spend the day enjoying the closest place BA has to paradise: the porteƱo vacation spot of gorgeous sun, verdant greenery, murky hikes, and refreshing silty river swimming.

I have a new addiction to Dulce de Leche (caramel. Caramel. CARAMEL), smeared on anything, eaten with a spoon, as an ice cream flavor, stuffed in a croissant, on my fingers. Oh lord. It´s the sweetest stuff in the world, and so, so good.

Being able to laze around in your apartment reading, writing, and drinking iced bubbly water until someone rings your doorbell and invites you out to dinner is a freaking SWEET way to live.

I love school.

I love hearing about all of your beautiful adventures. How many new homes, babies (and babies-to-be!), new friends and partners, achievements, excitements, and all the boring stuff that makes a day. Thank you for continuing to share your lives with me. It helps me feel so much closer!

I have a second job interview when i come home in March! :)

I love you guys.

Farmtime!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see you when you get home! I'm sure the farm will be wonderful and grimy and a delicious adventure. love you SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy farmtime sweetie pie! Hope it treats you well and please contact me whenever you can! Missing you like crazy, CJ

    ReplyDelete